Google

Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Raincoat.


The Raincoat
I know not from where the raincoat came
Only that it hung in the corner of the hall
By the old stuffed chair near the game room
Where old family pictures lined the wall
As a child, I used to marvel at the fabric
Worn and tattered, yet golden in its hues
And I would think how one day, if I were sick
I could put it on along with Daddy's shoes
It seemed like a comfortable way
To hold my hurt inside--just wrap it tight
Close my eyes, and ask my Mom to pray
With me to ward off evils of the night
I knew that it was safe and strong, for Daddy
Wore it on those days of rage and pain
When things weren't all so happy
With crops near death from too much rain
Today at Mom's I finally put it on
It was rather small and did not fit at all
Quite strange, for in that house as Daddy's son
It always seemed alone and very tall .

No comments: